My boyfriend and I try to eat low carbs for dinner and sometimes it gets boring just eating a protein with a side of veggies. I wanted to mix it up little and use my crock pot since it’s been sitting in my cabinet collecting dust while I was away in NY for work the last 6 months. I like to play my own home version of the show Chopped. I like to see what I can create with items I have in my kitchen. I saw frozen chicken breasts and some smoked sausage in my fridge and the first thing that came to my mind was GUMBO! Of course I had to alter though to make it “lower” carb for our dinner.
My all time favorite gumbo is seafood gumbo! I love my real gumbo version (by real I mean NOT LOW CARB AT ALL) with tons of shrimp, fish, clams, crab, and crawfish in it. It takes awhile to make and is really expensive to make too but OH SO GOOD! This chicken and sausage soup was actually pretty delicious though and the boyfriend had 2 big bowls, which is always a sign he loved it! I had left overs the next day with some white rice and it was even better with the rice! I hope you enjoyed this low carb chicken and sausage gumbo!
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Smoked Sausages
- 1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1/2 Onion
- 2 Bell Peppers (your choice)
- 1 Package Frozen Okra (or fresh)
- 2 Tbsp Oregano
- 3 Tbsp Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Mustard Powder
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Powder
- 6 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Gumbo File (optional)
- Saute chopped onions, bell peppers, and sliced sausage with a little oil until sausage has a nice color to it.
- Add all ingredients except the okra into a crock pot.
- Set on low for 6-7 hours.
- When chicken breasts are cooked, shred with two forks in the crock pot.
- Add okra and cook for at least 30 more minutes.
- Taste and add more spices to your taste.
- This is a great lower carb soup to eat but is even better served with white rice!
Do you love gumbo as much as me?!